Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Week 1 - Workout 2


Nothing motivates a run like a big fat storm on your tail. Workout two was exactly like workout one: 5 minutes brisk walk warm-up, alternate 60 second run/90 second walk for 20 minutes, 5 minutes brisk walk cool-down. Deciding to get over the fact that my neighbors may be pointing and laughing at my walking/running through their windows, I switched up my route this time and stayed around the neighborhood. Actually, it was kind of nice to run in the neighborhood and think, "yeah, that's right, I'm running. I'm cool looking with my iPod arm band." That mentality started to fade when my humility sank in around 20 minutes, and I started counting the seconds. I didn't feel quite so much like I was going to die this time, and it actually felt really good to hear the guy on my program say "end of workout 2." I am over the first hurdle and officially on my way to being a runner.

My favorite part of running so far has been listening to music. My favorite song right now is "Run" by Collective Soul. If anyone has some favorite workout songs, send me a comment and let me know! I'm always looking for more on my playlist!

The other thing I'm working on is eating better. Of course it hasn't been a perfect four days, but I'm starting to get excited about hunting for healthy alternatives and good recipes. My first attempt was whole wheat oatmeal blueberry banana muffins. (Picture) Here's the recipe:
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
  • 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
Directions
  1. Combine banana, yogurt, brown sugar, egg and oil in a large bowl.
  2. Add oats and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Combine dry ingredients.
  4. Add blueberries and dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined.
  5. Put in paper lined muffin tin and bake in a preheated 375 oven, until tops are firm to touch.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for keeping with it! Like you said, each day will get easier. And don't worry about what people think of you, chances are they're either driving past you or watching out their windows thinking "Man, I should get off my arse and take a walk. Also, that girl is fierce."

    Your muffins look awesome! One thing that I really like is subbing pure canned pumpkin (read: Libby's) for oil in baking recipes. It's a 1:1 swap and keeps everything moist but the texture maybe a little bit more dense than if you had cooked with oil. You can never even taste the pumpkin. Happy baking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for another comment but I just remembered that you should be taking before and after measurements and photos. You'll regret this if you don't, no matter how much you hate the "before" ones.

    ReplyDelete