Friday, July 10, 2009

End of Week 1



I'm happy to say that I have officially accomplished week 1 as planned! We had a very long day at the Graber house that ended in a dreaded trip to Wal-Mart. The last thing I wanted to do after I gave my two year old a bath was lace up my running shoes and head out into the muggy evening air. But surprisingly, a good run with good music was just what my body, mind and soul needed.

We live on the edge of town next to a golf course, which I usually run by on my route. Right when my podcast told me I had finished warm-up and needed to start my first run cycle, I came to this empty field that was filled with lightening bugs. The sun was just set and had enough of a faint glow to see shadows of houses and the road ahead of me. I decided to drop the baggage of the day and just spend some alone time with God.

"My heart and flesh cry out to you the living God - Your spirit's water to my soul. I've tasted and I've seen. Come once again to me. I will draw near to you." (Better is One Day, Kutless)

Normally I would plug in my playlist of cheesy 80s and 90s music, knowing that nobody could actually hear the music that I know my children will surely mock me for later in life, but today I wanted something that spoke to the heart. So I chose to listen to Adam's Christian music playlist (mine is a little too slow and girly for a running pace.) Here was my list of songs for the day:

Come Let Us Worship by Chris Tomlin
King of Glory by Chris Tomlin
Tonight by Kutless
In Me by Kutless
Overcoming Me by Kutless
Better is One Day by Kutless
This Time by Kutless

Lord knows my body isn't perfect, but it hit me in the middle of this run how God has given me this one body to care for in this life. It's the only one I get, and I only have so many years to establish good habits to last me through my life. When someone gives you a gift, you cherish it and give it special treatment that all your store-bought, throw-away junk doesn't get. The best way for me to honor my body, this gift from God, is to care for it - to give it special treatment and set it aside for his glory. He has also given me strength beyond what I ever thought I could bear emotionally, so why not physically? God is so much bigger than me and has surprised me around every corner of this life. When couch to 5K is done, I'm sure I will look back and think how surprised I am that I did it.

Hope all you readers out there are having a good week, and keep up the good work to those who are running with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment